Become more informed in minutes....
California
5th August 2025
 
THE HOT STORY
White House 'intends to slash the education safety net'
David Kirp, professor emeritus at the Goldman School of Public Policy, UC Berkeley, argues that President Donald Trump's administration is intensifying its attack on public education, with Education Secretary Linda McMahon claiming that the Department of Education (DOE) has vetted programs to align with Trump's agenda. This comes amid widespread protests from teachers, parents, and school superintendents, as 24 states have filed lawsuits against the administration for withholding education funding. Kirp says McMahon's push to eliminate diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives threatens nearly $30bn in federal aid, which supports essential programs for disadvantaged students. Critics, including Michigan State education policy professor Joshua Cowen, argue that voucher programs could worsen educational outcomes, particularly for vulnerable children.
DISTRICTS
Fresno USD's bidding process under fire
Fresno USD is facing criticism over its recent contract awards for repainting two schools to H.B. Restoration, a contractor accused of not paying workers. Juan Rosales from District Council 16 highlighted the district's policy of accepting the lowest bid, even from companies with a history of labor violations, stating it “sends the wrong message” to the community. Despite the allegations, H.B. Restoration's owner, Emmanuel Rozakis, denied any wrongdoing, asserting that the district has measures to ensure compliance. The board's decision to proceed with the contracts was influenced by the potential delays in project timelines. Trustee Elizabeth Jonasson Rosas expressed frustration over the lack of progress in the bidding process, while the district is exploring alternatives, including a project labor agreement to improve contractor accountability.
LEADERSHIP
Fresno USD shakes up DEI leadership
Fresno USD Superintendent Misty Her has appointed Carlos Castillo as the new chief academic officer, marking significant changes in the district's diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives. Castillo, who previously led DEI efforts, will now oversee a restructured role under the associate superintendent of family and student services, which has yet to be filled. This position will manage various departments, including the Department of Prevention and Intervention and African American Academic Acceleration (A4). The district is also considering renaming the A4 program to better reflect its mission, amid scrutiny from the Trump Administration and a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination against non-Black students. Wilson Freeman, an attorney with the Pacific Legal Foundation, said: “From speaking to parents, it's been indicated to us that the school district directly advertises these programs only to African American students.”
CONSTRUCTION AND RENOVATION
New performing arts center set to dazzle
The final phase of a new performing arts center at Emerald High School is set to open in April 2027. This development aims to enhance the cultural landscape and provide a venue for various performances. The center is expected to be a significant addition to the community, fostering creativity and artistic expression.
ARTS
LAUSD teens create art program for students
Los Angeles ISD juniors Barathi Balamurugan and Jeevana Doddi, both 16, have launched Artistic Ascent, a summer program aimed at fostering creativity among young students in the district. The initiative, which ran from June 16 to July 11, focused on inclusive art education for children in transitional kindergarten to fourth grade, including those with special needs. The program featured various activities such as drawing, painting, and collage-making, allowing students to express their personal experiences. Assistant Principal Cecily Mullings praised the program for its commitment to inclusivity, noting that it encouraged students to think creatively and build meaningful relationships.
INTERNATIONAL
Girls' dreams crushed by Taliban rule
In Afghanistan, girls' education has been severely restricted since the Taliban regained power in August 2021. The Taliban's ban on female education has left nearly 1.5m girls without access to secondary schooling, as reported by UNESCO. While madrasas have proliferated, many girls, like Nargis, a 23-year-old woman, feel these institutions do not provide the education they need. Nargis has taken it upon herself to teach girls in secret, despite the risks involved, commenting: "Even if I lose everything, I will do this one thing." The situation highlights the dire consequences of the Taliban's policies on women's rights and education in Afghanistan. Until recently, USAID had been funding secret schools across the country, known as “community-based education,” as well as study abroad programs and online scholarships. However, several of these programs are now winding down, due to the cancellation of $1.7bn-worth of aid contracts.

Education Slice delivers the latest, most relevant and useful intelligence to key educators, administrators, decision makers and teaching influencers, each weekday morning..

Content is selected to an exacting brief from hundreds of influential media sources and summarised by experienced journalists into an easy-to-read digest email. Education Slice enhances the performance and decision-making capabilities of individuals and teams by delivering the relevant news, innovations and knowledge in a cost-effective way.

If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities within Education Slice, please get in touch via email sales team

This e-mail has been sent to [[EMAIL_TO]]

Click here to unsubscribe